Monday, March 23, 2009

An Unsuitable Suitor...

Erik of Sweden

At first glance Erik would seem a likely candidate.  Tall, blonde and hairy.  He kinda reminds me of that dude from Metallica.  You know the type!  But there are a few buts…

First:  He’s a little crazy.

Second:  He proposes to everybody.  Including my cousin Mary of Scotland.

Third:  He’s crazy.

He even tried to come here to marry me!  So I sent him a letter that I hope made my intentions clear while at the same time letting him down gently.  LOL.

This is what I told him:

Erik,

It’s not you… it’s me.  I can’t honestly say that I have ever been in love.  However, I still wouldn’t marry you because you live so far away.  I hope you find someone who can really be with you.

All best,

Bess

3 comments:

  1. First of all, rumours floating about that suggest I am 'nuttier than a squirrel turd' have been greatly exaggerated. Secondly, Bess, I don't think you are capable of recognizing a good thing when it comes your way. I might have come off sounding a bit presumptuous,but I think I deserve props for being interested in you BEFORE you were "Her Royal Majesty Queen E", while you were still Princess Elizabeth Tudor. How could I have guessed you would make Queen? Surely this is enough evidence of my affections towards you! I have even pursued you against the wishes of my papa, Gustav-Does my rebellious nature not inflame your inherent hysteria? So why do you repel me so? Is it because you feel the need to distrust all men in order to protect England's throne? Is it because you're father did naughty things to his wives? Is it my beard?
    Please Please let me know.
    I can change....

    BTW

    It wasn't I that came to England to propose marriage, as I was storm-stayed. That was my much less attractive half-brother, John.

    Erik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Liz, you're quite the snob. Give this poor guy a chance. I mean he is even willing to shave his beard! (That's what he meant by he could change, right?) Besides you are going to need an heir to solidify your position. Above all you need to secure your position.

    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock on Elizabeth!

    Do not sink to someone elses standards. You are the Queen of England and if you do not think Erik of Sweden is the man for you then you have all the right to push him aside. Honestly do you really want to marry a man that proposed to your cousin? Get real this man it just looking for anyone to marry. He is just afraid of being alone. You are doing fine ruling yourself and if your worried about your throne, there are tons of fish in the sea. Just have patients. You have done nothing wrong. Your reply back notable. Do not fret.

    ReplyDelete